Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Salvation Assured

Relevant Bible Verses:

1) Romans 10:13 Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

2) John 3:15 That everyone who believes into Him may have eternal life.

3) John 10:28 And I give to them eternal life, and they shall by no means perish forever, and no one shall snatch them out of My hand.

4) Hebrews 6:4-6 For it is impossible for those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit And have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, And yet have fallen away, to renew themselves again unto repentance, crucifying again for themselves the Son of God and puting Him to open shame.

How sure are we that we have the full salvation when we accepted Jesus to be our Lord and personal Savior? I am still hearing Christians (even older ones) engaging in discussions if they will ever lose their salvation.

Romans 10:13, John 3:15 and John 10:28 above are straight forward and clear. For those who call on the name of the Lord will be saved and the by no means we shall perish forever. So, you are saved for eternity.

Lets affirm our stance further with Hebrews 6:4-6. When I first read these verses, I was quite disappointed. In my early Christian life, I was quite active in God's work and faithful in attending church services. I must acknowledge it was by God's grace and the Holy Spirit that I could live a heavenly life on earth and partake of the divine holiness. As partaker of the Holy Spirit, I partake of God as my enjoyment. A few years after, I actually gone cold and backslided.

If you literally follow these verses, then it is impossible for me to come back to God again - because i have once fallen away. However, on my third reading, the Holy Spirit begun to reveal to me the actual meaning behind these verses.

What it really mean is that Christians who have fallen away (backslided) when they come back to God, there is no need to renew unto the repentance that has been made already. The day you accepted Christ as your Lord and Savior, is the day when the foundation is laid. The foundation of God's grace has already been laid - no need to build the foundation again. We just have to carry on building from where we stopped.

Therefore, since the foundation of salvation throught Christ has already been laid and it is the foundation of God's Grace (Christ's seed planted in our life), the foundation in us is eternal!

No comments: