Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Bearing Fruits

Relevant Bible Verses

1) John 15:8 In this is My Father glorified, that you bear much fruit and so you will become My disciples.

2) John 15:16 You did not choose Me, but I chose you, and I set you that you should go forth and bear fruit and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name, He may give you.

3) 1 Cor 3:6-7 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.

I was fortunate enough that my previous home in New Zealand there were many fruit trees at the backyard. Year by year I eagerly anticipated the trees would be laden with variety of fruits and year by year without fail the fruits kept coming. There were grapefruit, passion fruit, grapes, gala apple, red plum and fig fruit tree as well. These fruit trees required very little maintenance. Watering the trees was the only thing I did. Sometimes, I could even smell the sweet fragrance of these fruits from the kitchen, more so from the grapefruits. I greatly enjoyed going to see these fruit trees in their glorification and in addition the satisfaction of eating my own grown fruits without paying for it. However, at times there were so much fruits that I had to keep persuading friends to help take them away. The excess of the fruits were then collected in plastic bags and sent it out as rubbish!

The fruit Christ has borne is even more fragrant and beautiful than all the fruits mentioned. Actually, we are His fruit! If Christ had never produced a disciple after His resurrection, He would have remained alone. The word, christian, would not be in existence.

During His time on earth, He had set the example to disciple. He had never failed to pursuade and encourage His followers to continue to follow His foot steps. Simon son of John was asked to feed His "sheep" if he truly loved Jesus (John 21:17). Today, we have about 33% of the world population who are christians (http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html).

So, what is really fruit-bearing in spiritual sense? I believe it is the overflow of the riches and love of the inner life. It is the natural overflowing of Christ within us. Do not try to bring people to Christ by your own effort. Remember, we did not choose Him, but He chose us. When we continue to trust God in our daily walk with Christ by exhibiting ("watering") His goodness and richness, God will "make it grow". Then we shall have an abundance of inner life. Out of this abundance of inner life there will be a flow that will reach others, penetrating into their lives. This flow will bear much fruit. It is not just preaching or soul-winning; it must be fruit-bearing by the overflow of the riches of the inner life of Christ from within.

Praise the Lord!

No comments: