Saturday, November 8, 2008

Eat, Drink & Be Merry

Relevant Bible Verses

1) Psalm 37:3 Trust in the LORD and do good, dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.

2) John 6:35 I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me shall by no means hunger, and he who believes into Me shall no means ever thirst.

3) John 7:37-38 If any thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes into Me, . . . out of his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water.

4) Rev 2:7 To him who overcome, to him I will give to eat of the tree of life.

After blogging for a few months, I am beginning to relax with the frequency of my postings. I remembered a friend once asked me to write about enjoyment of life and this topic has always been at the back of my mind. Actually there are so many aspects one can write about enjoyment of life in this exciting world.

We enjoy owning exotic cars, living in luxurious homes, possessing sophisticated computer gadgets, traveling first class, staying in 6-star luxurious hotels and many more finer things in life that we truly enjoyed. However, I believe eating and drinking are the very basics of humans enjoyment in our day to day living.

I was once operated for some complications in my small intestine. I was not allowed to eat and drink for almost 3 weeks after the operation and I was put on drip. It was over the Chinese New Year festival period. Being in the hospital, waiting anxiously for the day to be discharged to be able to eat and drink again, I have no other things to do except to watch television. Can you imagine the programs that were televised during that period? Food, nothing but food. All kinds of food!! I did not object to the programs but I had one problem- the thought of those delicious food and not able to consume them was torturing! From that experience, I consider drinking and eating are the privilege and enjoyment most humans can indulge in, which is given by God.

The Bible talks about eating and drinking. Anything related to eating and drinking must be a matter of enjoyment as we have deduced. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline (2 Tim 1:7). The Lord Himself said, “I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me shall by no means hunger, and he who believes into Me shall by no means ever thirst” (John 6:35). He also said, “If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes into Me,…out of his innermost being shall flow rivers of living water” (John 7:37-38). In addition, the apostle Paul said that the Israelites who followed Moses in the wilderness, “all ate the same spiritual food, and all drank the same spiritual drink” (1 Cor. 10:3-4). Then in the book of Revelation written by John, the Lord Jesus promised, “To him who overcomes, to him I will give to eat of the tree of life” (Rev 2:7). He also said, “To him who overcomes, to him I will give of the hidden manna” (Rev 2:17). These verses cover the matters of eating and drinking, which are certainly matters for enjoyment.

We should not take the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, BUT take the tree of life (Rev 22:14) - this is the promise by God concerning eating. There are christians, even those who have been christians for many years that could not understand the concept of "eating and drinking" Christ. If we continue to work out our salvation (having daily experience with Christ) with fear and trembling, we shall be drawn within and find refuse under the shadow of the wings (Psalm 36:7). From the beginning, God has always wanted us to consume and depend on Him.

Let's eat, drink and be merry with our Lord Jesus Christ!

No comments: