Saturday, February 21, 2009

The Law of Garbage Truck


Relevant Bible Verses:-

1) Matt 5:38-39 An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth. But I tell you not to resist him who is evil; rather whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also.

2) Matt 5:45,48 So that you may become sons of your Father who is in the heavens, because He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good and sends rain on the just and the unjust. You therefore shall be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect.

3) James 4:6 God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My wife and I were busy shopping for food and groceries on the Saturday just before Chinese New Year (CNY) at the wet market near our house in preparation for the coming auspicious day. It was quite normal that the market was much busier than usual during this period as more Chinese people were rushing to store up sufficient food for the coming CNY celebration.

After our rounds in the crowded wet market and our usual weekly wanton noodle breakfast, we quickly whipped our car out of the busy and congested market area only to realize we had forgotten to pack some noodle breakfast for our two kids who were waiting impatiently at home. I made a U-Turn into the busy market area heading towards the noodle stall and was caught in a massive jam.

Following behind another car turning into the back lane trying to avoid the jam, the car in front stopped suddenly and just parked his car right in the middle of the through road, blocking me. When I signaled him to move his car, he shouted at me asking me to reverse my car instead. Then he gently opened the door for his wife and kids, walked away from his car and into the restaurant for their breakfast, while my wife and I sat in our car shocked and speechless! How could a normal man, with children and wife next to him behave so rudely, ill-mannered, oblivious, insensitive and total disregard for others? I asked silently.

There were so many evil retaliation thoughts running wild in my mind at that moment in time. It was a perfect time to engage in an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth position! Anyway after about the longest 2 minutes seated in the car speechless thinking about all the “evil things” I could do to this person and his car, I reluctantly engaged the reverse gear and backed off our car, speechless and furiously mad, while the person and his family looked unperturbed, seated in the restaurant ordering their breakfast!

Since that unforgettable outraging incident, I have been waiting for the right moment to relate this experience in my blog until I read the following email sent to me:-


by David J. Pollay

How often do you let other people's nonsense change your mood? Do you let a bad driver, rude waiter, curt boss, or an insensitive employee ruin your day? Unless you're the Terminator, for an instant you're probably set back on your heels. However, the mark of a successful person is how quickly he/she can get back her focus on what's important.

Sixteen years ago I learned this lesson. I learned it in the back of a New York City taxi cab. Here's what happened.

I hopped in a taxi, and we took off for Grand Central Station. We were driving in the right lane when, all of a sudden, a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his breaks, skidded, and missed the other car's back end by just inches!

The driver of the other car, the guy who almost caused a big accident, whipped his head around and he started yelling bad words at us.

My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean, he was friendly. So, I said, 'Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!'

And this is when my taxi driver told me what I now call, 'The Law of the Garbage Truck.'

Many people are like garbage truck. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it. And if you let them, they'll dump it on you. When someone wants to dump on you, don't take it personally.

You just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. You'll be happy you did.

So this was it: The 'Law of the Garbage Truck.' I started thinking, how often do I let Garbage Trucks run right over me? And how often do I take their garbage and spread it to other people: at work, at home, on the streets?

It was that day I said, 'I'm not going to do it anymore.' I began to see garbage trucks.

I see the load they're carrying. I see them coming to drop it off. And like my Taxi Driver, I don't make it a personal thing; I just smile, wave, wish them well, and I move on.

One of my favorite football players of all time, Walter Payton, did this every day on the football field. He would jump up as quickly as he hit the ground after being tackled. He never dwelled on a hit. Payton was ready to make the next play his best.

Good leaders know they have to be ready for their next meeting. Good parents know that they have to welcome their children home from school with hugs and kisses. Teachers and parents know that they have to be fully present, and at their best for the people they care about.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let Garbage Trucks take over their day.

What about you?

What would happen in your life, starting today, if you let more garbage trucks pass you by?



Sometimes, it may seem unfair on ourselves that we have been taken advantage of the situation or perhaps being bullied. But in the above Bible verses, the Lord is asking us to resist whatever that is evil and be kind to those who offended us - go with him the second mile!

How difficult it is to be kind to people who offended us, but God gives grace to those who humble.

8 comments:

Justine said...

We are not impatient!

DC said...

Hi brother,

Been away recently so haven't had time to visit your blog. Keep up the postings!

Stephen Lim said...

Dear Dawn,
Thanks for visiting my blog and also pointing me to David's blog.
Surely we have all been encouraged by the exciting postings in his blog.
Will spread the good news around.
Regards
Stephen

Stephen Lim said...

Dear dc,

I miss your encouraging words and not to forget the many people who have been asking me about you (dc).

I suspect you have been away.
Good to learn you are back from break.

We really like your comments!

Regards
Stephen Lim

fbsdjafdnfs said...

I must say...This is one of my favourite articles to date...:)

Stephen Lim said...

Dear Gordon,
I was under the impression that you would not have much time to visit my blog after you've moved into the demanding college in Singapore.
Good to know you are still reading. I can only hope the articles to encourage you in your daily walk with Christ.
Miss you in music team.....

fbsdjafdnfs said...

I definitely do miss the church a lot!!! You can also be assured that I will remain updated with your blog...:)

Gladys said...
This comment has been removed by the author.